Friday 6 January 2017

Practical: Some Questions Raised from Final Crit

From my feedback received in the final crit, it seems that I have not made very clear some of my decisions throughout the project.

"What does Photoshop have to do with Lush?"

Honestly, lush cosmetics has nothing to do with photoshop. I chose Lush Cosmetics as a platform for my campaign because of a range of factors, that just made them the perfect choice. 



  • I knew that I wanted to make promotional/advertising work for a brand of some sort, and the fact that Lush are highly Authentic and have a focus on creating authentic products, is something that linked with my project. From researching into the company, I found that every Lush store around the world is filled with only products that have been made by Lush, for Lush, e.g the furniture which is made specifically in their Lush Store Furniture warehouse, linking directly with the theory Authorship. Therefore Lush are the epitome of authentic. Also I wanted to mirror this concept, by making Artwork for Lush, by Lush. 
  • Lush are also very big on fundraising/raising awareness for ethical issues around the world, e.g Animal Cruelty, Sexual Equality. Hypothetically, I wanted to propose my topic of Digital Art being devalued, to be treated as an "Issue" that needs awareness (A little tongue in cheek, I know). 
  • The target audience for Lush, fans of the handmade, are the audience that I am attempting to generate a reaction from using my campaign, as they are likely to be deterred from Digital Illustration. 
  • I also just needed a platform, for example, a Shop window, to create a display in order to convey my message/ideas. 
"Is using technology the value of the company?"

Throughout the Lush website, there is a constant reminder that their products are hand made and fresh. My thoughts for the campaign were to promote these values of hand made authenticity, through something that isn't handmade, BUT VERY AUTHENTIC. My campaign is all about achieving authenticity through non authentic means, making the campaign more about how the phenomenon of Aura and Authenticity is achieved, and not about how the artwork is made. 

It seems so clear in my head, but I think communicating the links between my project and the brand has been a huge issue throughout the project, which is definitely something I will consider in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment