Tuesday 10 January 2017

Practical: Shop Window Display

Promotional Video


A video I created to be displayed next to the original printed outcome. 

I created this video to not only give information about the campaign, but also to show the work and time that went into the print. I tried to challenge Marx's labour theory of value by doing this, showing that despite the aid of digital design tools, the print is still a valuable commodity. I feel that displaying the video next to the drawing also creates the sense of 'Aura' that Benjamin defines. 

I think that the video is effective in some ways because of it's upbeat and friendly tone which is conveyed through the choice of language. However, the aesthetic quality of the video I'm not as thrilled with, as I think it looks a bit boring. This was due to limited resources (and lack of skill) that I feel it doesn't look as professional and enticing
as i'd have liked(also iMovie is HORRIBLE to work with). It maintains its primary function of promoting the campaign and showing the creative process which i'm happy with.


Printed Outcome

With this piece of work I've placed great emphasis on remaining true to the values of authenticity. I have purposefully not uploaded the digital file to my blog because, through Benjamin's theory, this would devalue all authentic aspects and the 'aura' of the piece. (I don't know what he said about photographs, but here's one anyway of the final, authentic original print of which only 1 exists, that would be displayed within the shop window).


Once again the print quality is not entirely representative of the image, however I chose this kind of stock/printing effect to create more authenticity and link to the element of cheap/throwaway material. It creates an amazing contrast when it clearly looks cheap/digitally printed, yet it is the only print in existence (reflecting Banjamin's Aura theory) which creates value and aura.

No comments:

Post a Comment