Sunday 8 January 2017

Practical: Print Quality Experimentation

With my project, one of the key focuses is how the artwork is presented in order to achieve Authenticity. I wanted to experiment with the presentation process as much as the image creation because it is equally, if not more, important.

I started off printing my posters/images on regular printing stock, slightly higher quality than usual which gives the images a slightly glossy finish. 
 


I think that the images look the best when presented in this format, however, relating back to Anthony Burrill's comment about how 'were so used to everything being seductive and glossy', that I thought this may have the opposite effect of authenticity, and might look fake and insincere? (Mimesis)

So I experimented with slightly thinner stock which I found to look alot lower quality. In a different project, presenting images in this quality would be a complete no-no as it does look awful. However, I think that it places an interesting focus on the value of the image once again. And as these images are Original prints, only ones in existence, it makes the image valuable, despite being printed onto cheap throwaway material. 


(even has printing lines on it and everything)

I think it also has a nice effect on the poster aswell, subverting the idea of 'seductive and glossy'. As the poster is a tactile object, the effect of lower quality printing creates more authenticity (despite it looking patchy and shit). I think that the slightly faded tones/muted colours fit in really well with Lush's aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment