Monday 2 February 2015

COP: Idea Change

After attempting some research into my chosen issue of "Culture Hybridity", I found that the issues surrounding it were very complex and something that I would not personally be able to explore in a professional and academic way. I felt that also it wasn't something that I felt very passionate about which would not have helped my essay.

I have decided to change my subject to something that I feel more personally attached to, and as a smoker myself I feel this is really interesting to explore. I intend to look into how attitudes towards smoking have changed over the last 100 years, and how illustration has aided this. With the recent introduction of the E-cigarette, I feel this topic is very relevant at the moment and would be an effective subject to explore visually aswell. 



Some books available that I can reference:

        The power of glamour: longing and the art of visual persuasion.  /  Postrel, Virginia  (2013)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149969/The-glamorous-cigarette-adverts-disappeared-puff-smoke.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30621625

Useful Quotes: 

1920

Sivulka, J (1923). Soap, Sex and Cigarettes; A cultural history of American Advertising. 2nd ed. Boston: Michael Rosenberg. 148-150.

"1925 Lucky strike ad appealed especially to the newly liberated woman." 

"The selling of cigarettes proved to be advertising's ultimate triumph of the decade. At that time many people considered cigarette smoking an undesirable habit. Moralists blasted cigarettes, referring to them as "coffin nails" and "gaspers". Henry Ford deemed cigarettes unemployable."

- important because if this was the attitude at the time then how was it changed? through advertising?  


"Society did not consider smoking an acceptable social practice for women.... In 1926, the Newell-Emmett agency daringly prsented a poster showing romantic moonlit seaside scene and a man lighting his chesterfield with a woman perched beside him saying "Blow some my way" ". 

"for the first time, operatic sopranos, actresses and society matrons endorsed the product and popularized the image of the fashionable lady who, while she still smoked, appeared stylish and respectable."

1970

Smoking Is Very Glamorous (Poster) by American Cancer Society, 1972 







2000

NHS stop smoking campaign - Each Cigarette rots you from the inside out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ctaMwtHwUo

Blu Ecigarette advert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx7X_uxwDg






No comments:

Post a Comment